Sunday, October 4, 2009

In pursuit of ...what to blog about.

What do you write when you can't think of anything to write? I don't know how many times I have settled down in front of this computer with the intention of writing something wonderfully uplifting, inspiring, and genuinely clever. As soon as the window opens, my mind goes blank. I recently watched the movie Julie and Julia (and except for the sprinkling of obscenities, I really enjoyed it). I found Julie's idea of blogging, as she cooked her way through Julia's cookbook, delightful. However, I am late to be jumping on the blogging train. Every time I think I have a great and new idea...I quickly learn it has already been done. Of course. So, I will use this time and space to record the every day and perhaps mundane activities of my family and my pursuit of those things that mean most to me - mainly trying to be the best wife/mother/daughter/sister/friend/grandmother/niece/aunt/cousin and crazy woman that I can be. Perhaps I will share my thoughts as I pursue my dream of life-long learning and answers to the questions we all face about who we are, why we are here, and where we are going...whether it be in this life or in the life to come. I hear you...it's been done before. but since we are all unique, perhaps someone will read this and find a piece of what they too are seeking.

This weekend has been the 179th General Conference of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.Where I live, the weather is cloudy, cold, windy, rainy and rather dismal. but my heart is warmed and I am inspired to be more of who I am, to live more closely to the truth. Presiding Bishop H. David Burton spoke about the -ity virtues. -ity being a quality, state, or degree of being. Integrity, charity, civility, nobility, humility, fidelity, dignity, generosity, responsibility, and accountability are just a few examples. I also love the quote, "Integrity is the light that shows from a disciplined conscience."

So now I have a goal for this blog. I am going to experiment a little bit, so bear with me. Each week, I am going to focus on a different -ity virtue and share my thoughts as I search for examples of people living this virtue and my experiences as I try to implement this virtue in my own life. If you see someone living that -ity virtue, or if you have an experience in your own life, tell me about it! We have the power to change the world...so let's do it!

7 comments:

  1. Good start, Kari! I'll be watching your posts on the "itty" virtues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...I guess now I'm committed! (in more ways than one, I suspect!) Thanks for stopping by Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kari. I thought about you when I was up in Highland this past week-end, for the book (DVD) signing for Baby Booerang. My granddaughter lives there, and we stayed with her. The weather was great that weekend. The breeze cool, the sun warm, the mountains beautiful with red splotches scattered here and there. Definitely early fall. It was a great trip, and successful beyond our hopes. Try BabyBoomerang.com for more details and a few pictures. I think I'll blog about it if I have time before taking off for Seattle.

    But I didn't mean to talk about me. I'm commenting about you. I think old age is creeping up on me, and I'm in my selfish second childhood.

    I love your wisdom and your abilities, Kari. I feel I'm blessed to know you. And yes, Conference was wonderful. Thanks for the ity reminder.
    Anna A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Anna! You were right next door??? How fun. And it was a beautiful week. We went up to see the colors on the mountain..magnificent! thanks for visiting my blog. I am blessed to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kari,
    I've missed being a sister blogger to you, because when it was my turn to post I'd always make sure I read your last one. You are so wise and write so well of deep things. The world will be better off if you are blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz,
    Thank you for such kind words and encouragement. They mean a great deal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kari,
    Good start. I can relate to your desire to reach the bottom of the laundry. I also liked Julie and Julia and have been planning to start a blog so could relate there also.

    ReplyDelete