Saturday, October 15, 2011

Apples and Caramel and Cream. Oh My!

How does an apple a day keep the doctor away? When you take careful aim! (bada-bump)
Sorry, I looked everywhere for a cute joke with apples in it and that was the best I could do! If you have a good (clean) one, share! I did learn that it takes the energy from 50 leaves on an apple tree to produce one apple and that apples come in more flavors than just sweet or sour! Apples can even taste like pears, cinnamon, cloves, coconut, strawberries, grapes and even pineapple. I don't know how I feel about that. When I eat an apple, I kind of want it to taste like an apple. My brain gets confused enough as it is.

I worked writing copy all day yesterday and didn't get my apple post written. Today I got to attend a writing conference all about publishing eBooks. Wow! Now my head is stuffed with all kinds of information that will take time to sort through. I am definitely going to keep blogging. One, because I enjoy the challenge and two, because social media is crucial to a successful writing career. That doesn't have anything to do with apples, I suppose, but that's what's on my mind right (write) now!

My recipe for today is for Caramel Cream Cider. I served this to my writers group with the apple cake the other day. Several people requested the recipe so I thought it would be a good one. Besides, it's actually my own experiment! My mother-in-law gave us a Champion juicer years back and I thought I'd try putting some of these apple through it. Yummy! When the weather turned cold I really dreaded my regular morning smoothie. I wondered how the apple juice would taste heated up. Ahhhh! Then I remembered the caramel sauce in the fridge. While looking for  the caramel sauce, I spotted a carton of cream. ( Bwahahaha!) A dash of cinnamon kicked it up just a notch and voila! I call it Caramel Cream Cider...because I couldn't think of anything else. Okay, I realize it's not nearly as healthy as my green spinach smoothie (which has apples in it btw...) but it sure makes my taste buds do the happy dance. Definitely a comfort beverage and almost as good as hot chocolate...almost...cause nothing replaces chocolate, ever.

Caramel Cream Cider

fresh apple cider (or you can use bottled...but it's not quite the same)
a splash of heavy cream
1 tablespoon caramel sauce
cinnamon to taste

Heat the cider until it begins to steam. pour into a mug. Add the caramel sauce and stir. Add the splash of cream and sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.

I suggest you get in your jammies and grab a blanket and a book or your favorite movie before you sit down with this. Better yet, make enough for two and grab your sweetheart and cozy up with your Caramel Cream Cider and watch a romantic movie together. Just the two of you.


Any requests for a special type of apple recipe out there? I know one of my daughters sent me her muffin recipe she uses and a couple of friends sent another cake recipe...mmmmm...and I really plan on doing a caramel apple cinnamon roll recipe. I just need to think on that one a bit. I like the idea of experimenting a little instead of just copying recipes out there, so if you have your own and you would like me to highlight it, I would be happy to give it a try!

Okay...off to visit my grandma and a few aunts and uncles and cousins. Yep, My grandma is amazing. I sure hope I inherited her longevity genes. I still have lots of apples to deal with.

hugs~

No comments:

Post a Comment